Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

First day at school

Thinking to be clever i made sure i was at school at 8.15h, to make sure i have a good locker and possibly even a second one. School has changed, they now give out lockers which are numbered to student. No chance to get another locker than allocated to you, let alone a second one, as you simply do not know which lockers will be used by collegue students and which not.

I was not alone in my strategy, so in the cafe du commerce on the corner i met a group of 4 intermediate students, classmates as i found out soon. Even a Dutch women, Ilse in the group, further a canadian, greek and Japanese in this group, so again a very international class.

School started at 12.30h with a class where we learned how to make a salmon & watercrest salad, a bask type of chicken with pilav rice and an apple pie, made with phyllo pastry. I had to get used to the school system, making efficient nots, knowing when to look what the chef is doing and when to write.
In practical we made the bask chicken, not a very great recipe, but good to train the basic skills.
My plate was good, the chicken at the right cuisson, the rice was perfect, my sauce was good, a little to much fat left in the sauce and little to much reduced.
As i knew the presentation of the chicken in the end, i cutted up my chicken differently (taking off the filets rom the breast bone) as the chef demonstrated in class (traditional sauté cut), which gave me some minus points (never try to be more clever than the chef).


Ofcourse i was again the first to cut my finger when i took out the wishbone from the chicken a little too harsch.





After school we went to have a beer at cafe Le commerce with about 10 classmates.
19.00h i left for my first evening in my appartement. Made part of my homework, as tomoorow morning i am free, called Juliette, as i have a free phone for landlines Worldwide, made a blog, got organized and went to bed.

I also know my schedule now, i know that there will be no free saturdays this time. Every saturday i have to go to school, sometimes even until 21.00h at night. So, no possibilities to go home in between. Julietee will book a train on 26 november as this is the only sataurday that i am freeat 15.00h. The good side from aving school on Saturday is that i have many in between free hours during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment